Tuesday, July 28, 2009

San Diego Reflections

Well, it's my last night in San Diego and I have to say it's pretty weird when it's not Comic Con. There were masses of people just like me and now, well, not so much.

I've learned a few things about SDCC. It's nothing like it's little sister, the NYCC. SDCC is about 3x the size of the NYCC and it's 10x crazier. People get in line for free stuff. Bags, posters, buttons, you name it. Warner Bros put out a different bag each day, big enough to carry your laundry in. Dark Horse did the same, but weren't as obnoxious. One day 1.5 (technically the first day) was the day they had the Red Lantern Hal Jordan figure. Limited to just 1,500, this was the exclusive to get (any color lantern to be exact). The hall opened at 9:30 and by 9:50 they had given out over 2/3 of the tickets (SDCC staff made Graphitti Designs hand out tickets after the preview night debacle, it was just crazy). They announced that the rest of the tickets would be handed out before noon. Fans started lining up to get their ticket at 11 and were told that the line had not started and that they could not stand in front of the booth. So what's a fanboy to do? Walk in circles of course! When it was discovered where the tickets would be handed out, a massive surge of people headed over to the booth. I was told 250-300 tickets would be handed out, so I left. Yup, I gave up. I had more improtant things to do. Needless to say, the only Hal figure I walked away with was the Green version. You needed a ticket if you wanted to purchase anything from Hasbro and/or Mattel. It's insane. Crazy. Nuts. I didn't get my Soundwave figure either. I was denied it during my childhood, so I'm feeling the same disapointment.

I also learned that many people don't want to wait to get their info off the interweb. Fans of the Venture Bros. denied my chance to see the Fables panel. I went an hour before the panel only to find Venture Bros. fans already in line (both were in the same hall, Fables first, VB second). Again, I gave up. They don't clear the halls between panels thus I had NO chance as the line went around the corner, down the hall, back and halfway up again. So, I waited to read about it online. Yeah, it would have been cool to hear the info from Bill, Mark and the gang, but oh well.

I did get to talk to some artists. Hopefully they'll be able to make it up to good old NH in 2010. I also met up with Patrick Gleason, Jamal Igle and Sean Murphy. All cool guys, all very busy.

All in all, I would like to return in 2010, but if I don't, I'll make it every other year. Oh, and I'll have a copy of the 40th anniversary book at the store. It's very cool to see how this mega event got it's very meager beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment